Friday, January 29, 2010

What Has Changed Since You Got Married?

Conversation should always be reciprocal. Over the last two and a half years, I have posted many articles, poems and antidotes for your enjoyment on this blog. As all of you know by now, I like to stay in contact with my couples whom I have married (got to keep track of those promises … especially that breakfast in bed!).

Most of you are pretty good at staying in contact with me, especially when there is a “new addition” to the family. Others, I have to chase you down!

A few months ago, I had an enjoyable afternoon of coffee and pastries with one of my brides whom I married a few years ago. An interesting conversation took place. When I asked her how was married life different from the years of engagement, she answered, “Oh … it IS different!” Her answers were positive as to what was different, yet she could not quite pinpoint exactly how or what was different.

This bride, besides being very beautiful, is also very intelligent. She has an excellent command of English and expresses herself beautifully in the written and spoken word. But, when I asked the question, she seemed to be at a loss of words to describe exactly what was different.

So, to all of you, my ex-brides and ex-grooms, now happily married (I hope ) … I would like for you to communicate back to me what, in your opinion, is different in your lives since you got married.

Maybe some of you would rather communicate to me directly and privately via email rather than posting something for everyone to read. Rest assured, your confidentiality is of the utmost importance and secure with me. But, for those of you who would like to share with others your experiences, our blog could become a tool to solve and reflect on marriage’s learning process. And of course, once again, no names need to be used to explain a situation, or conflict or an incident which has strengthened your relationship.

Just because I am an Ordained Minister and Pastoral Counselor should not prevent you from being open, frank and honest. You all know me, and you all know I am not judgmental …. I don’t preach … I don’t try to convert anyone to any philosophy or religion. My aim is to assist in finding new avenues to make life better for all.
I hope I hear from you soon. With much love and have a blessed day,

Rev. Elisheva

No comments: